Friday, February 25, 2011

Keeping an open mind..

This past Wednesday, my sponsor in AA brought up the topic of God as it relates to working the steps indicated in the program. AA is not affiliated with any 'sect or domination'(meaning any god/higher power you choose is acceptable). I, however, do not believe in anything. While this is a very personal decision I do respect others for whatever they may believe. I have an open mind and am not negatively biased towards believing in a higher power. But as of today, I believe that we are here on earth for a short while and our job is to the best with it what we can, not because of a moral code laid out by a bible or how appeasing a higher power. In my mind, the morals i strongly believe are important to follow because it will effect my own conscious and the others around me. The entire meeting was based around the necessity of finding a power greater then yourself to lead you to sanity(sobriety). This is Step 2 out of a twelve step program adopted by many outside of the AA program. I am finding it difficult to embrace this step. However, i am assured that certain steps are hard for some while easy for others, and it is simply part of the journey to a sober lifestyle.

2 comments:

  1. Like you, Jean, I am a pretty secular, even agnostic person, and have been for a long time. However, this past summer I started going (at first just out of curiosity) to Quaker meetings once in awhile. It's basically an hour of group meditation, and occasionally someone will stand up and say something if they are moved to share a thought they think might benefit others. The main things they believe in--peace, social justice, truthfulness, community--I believe in, too, and they aren't doctrinal about telling people what to do in their personal lives. There is a kind of "mysticism" that some Quakers tap into, and though that's not really part of it for me, I like their belief that there is something divine in all people--not just other Quakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never check on here if i have comments but i just read this! My dads side of the family is quaker, and my sister is very much part of the quaker society. I think that Quakers and possibly buddhists have the most similar beliefs as i have. Do you mind me asking what made you go to a meeting house? Just my curosity!

    ReplyDelete