Thursday, March 3, 2011
All that there is to be grateful for...
It is easy to forget everything we are blessed to have, especially when dealing with a lot of stress. Ever since I quit drinking I have been incredibly run down, experiencing mood swings, and questioning how happy I really am. I know it sounds unbelievable that the lack of alcohol can affect your body and your mind. However, alcoholism is a disease. Now sometimes I think that calling it a disease is just a way to push the blame of someone's irresponsible drinking habits to something physical. I have been doing a lot of research ever since I started going to AA; and the stack of books on my nightstand suggest that anxiety, depression, mood swings, and (obviously) added stress all are normal for people in the beginning of recovery. Thankfully I was in the 'Middle Stage of Alcoholism' when I decided to stop so these withdraw symptoms are not as severe. I am very happy I decided to stop drinking, and I am sure my family would say the same. When I get angry because I have to distance myself from my friends, confront a lot of my character defects(most of which I did not even know I had), and find alternative activities that I will learn to enjoy I neglect to appreciate what I am fortunate enough to have. I have a great job, a loving family, and thanks to the 'fellowship' of AA a bright future. I do not have to wake up worried about health issues, I have a comfortable home to come home too, and I have a lot of people that genuinely care about me. I find that we are all guilty of focusing on what we do not have rather then how much better we have it then most people in the world. Sure there are things I want that I do not have but I will work hard in order to obtain/accomplish them. And every morning when I wake up I have the decision to either enjoy the day I am lucky enough to have, or I can pout and stress over what could possibly go wrong. it is my decision what I do with this day and I am going to try and always remember to choose to make the most of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am a constant worrier -- always trying to make sure everything is managed and in order. When things get disorderly--as they inevitably do--I have a hard time accepting that, but when I stop and reflect on how lucky I am to have so many great people in my life and to be where I am, doing what I do, then I can accept all those little things that seem out of place.
ReplyDelete